BILAT-RUS: Enhancing the bilateral S&T Partnership with the Russian Federation
BILAT-RUS was officially launched during an opening session in Brussels on 25th September 2008. Its principal goal lies in the enhancement of the bilateral S&T partnership between the Russian Federation and the EU Member States, Candidate Countries and other Associated Countries. It focuses on contributing to the sustainable implementation of the Common Space on Research, Education and Culture between the EU and Russia and on further strengthening the participation of Russia in Community programmes – most prominently the 7th Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development (FP7).
The major objectives of BILAT-RUS are:
- to collect and to provide information about bilateral S&T cooperation programmes
- to analyse and to optimise the framework and the instruments for enhanced future EU-Russian cooperation across all S&T themes
- to appraise and to analyse all relevant national and international mobility programmes between Russia and the EU
- to meet the short and medium term needs of existing and upcoming joint thematic EU-Russian Working Groups on S&T cooperation (for instance the following groups: food /agriculture/ biotechnology, health, nanotechnology, energy and mobility).
The project concept of BILAT-RUS builds on the following main pillars:
- setting up a dialogue and collaborating with the major stakeholders in Russia and the EU, responsible for setting the frame for S&T cooperation (Russia: Ministry of Education and Science, Federal Agency for Science and Innovations, FP7 National Contact Points (NCPs); EU: Member State Ministries and NCPs, Commission Services; EU-Russia Policy Dialogue Platform to be set-up through the project Inco-Net EECA)
- building on and complementing previous, ongoing and future coordination and support activities aiming at enhancing the cooperation between the EU and the Russian Federation
- making optimum use of synergies with ongoing activities (IncoNet EECA, SCOPE-EAST, etc.)
- assuring coherence and consistency across the priority fields of cooperation, particularly with regard to the support of bilateral Working Groups between Russia and the EU
- adding particular value through addressing the optimisation of the framework for S&T cooperation between Russia and the EU.
International Bureau of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research at the Project Management Agency c/o German Aerospace Center (DLR)
Centre for Innovation and Technology in NRW (ZENIT)
State University Higher School of Economics (HSE)
Russian Research Centre ‚Kurchatov Institute’ (KIAE)
State Technological University ‘Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys’ (MISIS)
Analytical Centre for S&T and Educational Programmes (ICISTE)
National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS)
Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG)
Centre for Social Innovation (ZSI)
More information: http://www.bilat-rus.eu
Source: International Bureau of the BMBF